Site Info

This website is an interactive academic tool for CEA-UNH course: International Human Rights: Universal Principles in World Politics



Instructor: Dr. Scott Blair

CEA Paris Global Campus

Spring 2011

UNH Course Code: POL 350

Credits: 3















Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Gilbert Michlin

I was actually a little hesitant and nervous about hearing you speak about your experience during the Holocaust. I have always been particularly sensitive to this topic firstly because I am Jewish and secondly because the events of the Holocaust had a huge impact on my family because my grandmother was a survivor. I feared that I would not be able to handle myself emotionally when you spoke, especially because I had a hard time only reading your story. I am incredibly impressed that you have the ability to get up before any group of people and relive what you experienced. It says a lot about your courage and your compassion to inform others, which is something I do no think I would be able to do.

What I found particularly interesting about your story was what countries you were brought to at the end of the war. My family originated from Poland, but the few survivors followed the exact same path as you did after the war, to Berlin and then on to Detroit, Michigan. I don’t know if that was a common path for survivors who did know exactly where to go next, but it was definitely noteworthy to me even if it is just a coincidence.

I realize that you initially came back to Paris because your work brought you here, but I can only imagine how hard it must have been to come back to the place that seemed to be both the origin of you fondest memories of your family before the war, but also your darkest memories before being deported. Obviously you live here and must love this city now, but when you first returned what did you think of this city? Did you return to your initial feeling of love or was it hard for you to return to Paris, a place that you may associate with the darkest time in your life?

Thank you very much for coming to speak with us. I cannot imagine how difficult it is for you to speak about your experience, but do know that it was a very valuable learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment